Wednesday, March 2, 2011

ARC Review: Falling Under by Gwen Hayes

Title: Falling Under
Author: Gwen Hayes
Release Date: March 1, 2011
Publisher: New American Library
Source: Publisher (ARC; Thank you NAL!)
Genres: YA, Paranormal Romance
Pages: 324 (Paperback)
Buy the Book: Amazon | Book Depository


Summary via Goodreads:

Theia Alderson has always led a sheltered life in the small California town of Serendipity Falls. But when a devastatingly handsome boy appears in the halls of her school, Theia knows she's seen Haden before- not around town, but in her dreams. 
As the Haden of both the night and the day beckons her closer one moment and pushes her away the next, the only thing Theia knows for sure is that the incredible pull she feels towards him is stronger than her fear. 
And when she discovers what Haden truly is, Theia's not sure if she wants to resist him, even if the cost is her soul.


Looking for a romantic, lush and utterly alluring read? Then start your month of March right by picking up Gwen HayesFalling Under.

Falling Under is a story I’ve never read before. I'm not sure if there are already YA books that solely focus on the main 'element' of Falling Under (okay, I can't tell you what that 'element' is because I don't want to spoil it for you and besides it's part of the thrill) and so I think that is what makes Falling Under really interesting. It’s the kind of story where you thought you’ve had it all figured out but you really didn’t.

I have quite a lot of reasons why I enjoyed this book from top to bottom. First of all, the premise of story was very tempting; it’s the very reason why I wanted to read the book. Gwen Hayes’ writing was absolutely fantastic and potent enough to make you easily attached with the characters and the very atmosphere of the story. The way she weaved the world of “Under” and effectively merge it in the day to day living was totally astonishing.

I also love how the characters’ developed throughout the story. It’s one of the aspects on the story that really stands out for me, most especially Theia’s development. I admit that during the first few chapters, I was worried that Theia has the possibility of heading towards my “not-so-favorite-heroines list”. Thankfully, she didn’t. I thought as the story goes one, she’s progressing as a strong-willed protagonist in a very healthy way. Her relationship with Haden was just really, really absorbing and enormously passionate. I fell so deeply inlove with the two of them.

Another aspect of the story that I genuinely enjoy was the fact that Thiea’s bestfriends, Donny and Amelia, was actually included in the story as well as Gabe and Varnie. I mean, they weren’t just “sidekicks” or labeled as “Theia’s Bestfriends” they are involved. I just love all the characters!

I really, really hope that there’s going to be a sequel (actually, with that cliffhanger on the end, I was pretty sure that there is going to be a sequel) because I want to read more of these character’s relationship with one another. Besides Thiea’s and Haden’s interesting chemistry, I also find the building emotions between Ame and Varnie to be really cute and sweet same goes for Donny and Gabe.

The pacing on some parts of the story, though, seemed too slow for me but nonetheless, I was highly entertained in reading Falling Under and so I’m giving it 4 out of 5 stars and I highly recommend this to Paranormal-Romance fans who’s willing to fall under Gwen Hayes’ spell-binding writing.

COVER THOUGHTS: 5 out of 5 Seriously? Do I need to say more? Just look at that gorgeous cover!

----
Challenge/s: 100 Books In A Year Reading Challenge

3 comments:

  1. I've been wanting to read this book! It sounded so interesting when I first read the summary. Now you've just heightened my excitement with your wonderful review. I can't wait to read this book. Thanks for the review.

    P.S I'm a new follower :) check out my blog whenever you feel like it:
    http://ezineofarandomgirl.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Guen! Thanks for the comment! I know you'll enjoy Falling Under as much as I did ;) Thanks for following too! :>

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey! I've been really curious about this book, since I have to read it for the 2011 Debut Author Challenge. Thanks for the review, it's been very helpful! I can't wait to read the book, I'm really intrigued by that 'element'.:D
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking time to read my post! Do you have any thoughts about it? Give me some, I'd love to hear it! :)

Note: Girl about Books is now an award-free zone. I am very glad and I appreciate them all but comments would be okay :)